Start a new topic
Planned

[+23] Similar to skip/postpone, let them choose to do tasks in any order

(Originally posted by Heidi H.)

My child doesn't always like to do things in the same order, and it's usually fine with me for him to choose as long as all tasks get done.

note: this feature had 23 votes on the old support system.

2 people like this idea

Thanks, Debbie. So if I understand correctly, you want task-level parental control on whether the task can be postponed? e.g. "Allow child to move this task to later in the routine: Yes/No"

You know that swipe-to-the-right to postpone works in the current version, right? Instead of swiping it to the left to mark it complete, just swipe it to the right and it moves to the end of the routine. This might work as a reminder at the end of the routine to bring the breakfast.

1 person likes this

Private

It would be helpful to be able to see a list of what needs to be done, and at what time, so my child can easily choose what activity she wants to do next. As it is, she has no idea of what is ahead for her, or how much time she has left. I think it is important for her to learn the skill of time management, and the flexibility of seeing what is coming up next, would help her to focus better.

on December 03, 2015 13:13

1 person likes this

Private, thanks for taking the time to leave your comment. I'd like to hear more about how you're using Brili, because Kid Mode already has much of what you're talking about. I'll try to address your comments point by point below:

"It would be helpful to be able to see a list of what needs to be done..."

- Kid Mode displays the current task and the next task so that the child knows what needs to happen and what's coming up. On phone-sized screens, you need to turn the phone sideways to see the upcoming task. We did it this way so kids aren't overwhelmed with detail. The timeline at the bottom of the screen indicates how many tasks there are, and how much time they're supposed to take.

"...and at what time..."

- Brili is designed to help kids complete a full set of tasks by a particular time; if an earlier task is done quickly, the next task starts sooner (and so forth) so there's no fixed scheduling of individual tasks. That said, it lets you set an end point for the whole routine (e.g. leave for school) and Brili automatically adjusts all the task countdown timers as necessary to ensure everything gets done by the deadline.

"...so my child can easily choose what activity she wants to do next."

- We consciously decided to not let kids choose what to do next unless there's an exceptional situation (e.g. bathroom busy) because much of the benefit of consistent routines comes from following a particular order to help kids learn and remember the tasks involved, and anticipate the transitions on their own.

"As it is, she has no idea of what is ahead for her, or how much time she has left."

- I'd like to better understand this concern. In Kid Mode, every activity has visual and audible countdown timers, and there is a routine timeline at the bottom of the screen that shows a current indicator progressing towards the end point, the current task (proportionately sized on the timeline) and all tasks that remain to be done, as well as any free time the child has earned by staying on task. With Brili Extra, you can also activate spoken voice prompts that tell child how much time is left and when it's time to move onto the next task.

"I think it is important for her to learn the skill of time management, and the flexibility of seeing what is coming up next, would help her to focus better."

- Agreed! I would love to help you achieve this with Brili. Please let me know how to contact you and I'd be happy to help you optimize the way you're using Brili, and learn more about any shortcomings you're seeing in the product.

Cheers,

Pierre

1 person likes this

Yes, but it needs to allow US to program on certain routines if kids are even allowed this option. My son needs more strict routines = but for chores, he could move some things. I don't want him to "see" the option where he could move it around.....slows him down and creates gridlock, as in most cases, he needs the pattern. ADHD

1 person likes this

The way we handle this now is we just swipe through the breakfast, and "know" to bring it in the car. I help him by packing the breakfast and putting it with the rest of the school "to go" items, with exception to the shoes that are outside. It isn't a big deal for us this way, and the rest of the routine then adjusts accordingly to hit the end time goal (or at least used to?).

1 person likes this

Hi Heidi,

For your child who doesn't always like to do things in the same order, are there still instances for him when the routine sequence is important? Are you thinking mostly about using this feature as a chore list, for example?

P

Kim Huss

Yes! I was just looking to see if there's a way for the child to skip something (swipe up or down?) and have it move back 1 activity card in the order.

For example, in his morning routine, he might want eat breakfast later in the routine. Usually where it's at in the routine, but sometimes later. Or he might want to do it first and it would be helpful if he could "postpone" or "skip and come back to" everything else before that.

on September 01, 2015 12:29

Thanks, Kim! The feature we have now (swipe to the right to postpone) sends the activity to the end of the queue before the dynamic reward if there is one. It may take us a while to implement arbitrary re-sorting where you pick exactly where the postponed task goes, because it's technically rather complex to change the routine around while it's running. But we realize it would be better, so we do plan to implement it.

Can we please make sure that, for EACH task item, the PARENT can still control this function for each individual task? I don;t want my son given that much freedom as it will definitely slow him down. However, it may be ok for 2 or 3 task depending on what they are - breakfast might be an example, where he moves that task after he gets in the Mommy bus, or whatever. But not sure how that might work programming wise because in THIS case, ideally, BOTH of our tasks of "Mommy bus to school" and "eating breakfast" would ideally be happening at the same time (multi task-able). If there was a multitask function, which I would assume most users would not want that complexity (?), then it would work.

Login or Signup to post a comment