Start a new topic
Planned

Not rewarding child with stars for non-compliance

When time runs out on the clock for an activity and my child refuses to complete it but is still willing to move forward with the rest of the routine, I wish there was an "incomplete" button for me to press so she could do the next task in her routine, but not earn a star when swiping the incomplete task. I don't want her to learn that she can refuse to complete a task and still earn a star, though I'm fine with how it works now when she earns a star for completing the task, even if it isn't in the right amount of time because she does sometimes do this and makes up time by doing other tasks more quickly so I do think that she should be rewarded for that because it's teaching her good time management skills, but not for refusing to complete a task.

KatKat on May 11, 2015 08:34

2 people like this idea

Pierre Séguin

This is an important feature we want to add. We're thinking about putting that functionality into parent mode so you'd mark it incomplete from your device instead of having to interrupt your child's process. How does that sound?

on May 11, 2015 13:59

Kat

That sounds fine to me - thanks!

on May 11, 2015 14:41

mljnc

Similar to this, I wish there was a way to prevent my daughter from earning a star if she did not complete the task on time. Currently I am "redeeming" stars to remove the ones she was given even though she didn't finish a task on time. Her daily reading minutes are part of her routine so if she doesn't finish her other tasks on time, she does not have time to complete her reading.

on September 25, 2015 10:47

Pierre Séguin

mljnc, that's interesting, thank you for that. Do you think it would also work for you if we gave kids bonus stars for finishing on time and extra bonus stars for finishing early? That way kids still have an incentive to complete the task even when it's late.

on September 26, 2015 12:05

mljnc

Bonus stars for completing on time would be great! That way she gets recognized for completing the task but has the extra incentive to get it done quickly.

on October 02, 2015 08:47

1 person likes this

The feature that would allow us to mark a task incomplete -- whether from kid mode or parent mode -- would really be essential for me.  Have you ended up adding this yet?  

Hi Kerry,

It's not available yet, no, but it's a priority. Would you first see it working in a manner that the child is able to skip the task, or that the parent "rejects" it somehow? What would be ideal for your situation?

Pierre

Thanks for your response Pierre.   I'm not so concerned about "rejecting" her claim that she completed a task, as I can always go into the Redeem area and subtract any stars I don't think she's entitled to. 

What I'd like to be able to do is skip tasks and still be able to complete the routine.  Sometimes my daughter opts out of a certain task (so shouldn't earn the stars), sometimes the task turns out not to be relevant for that day (e.g., maybe she doesn't have any homework), or sometimes we've gotten a late start so I give her permission to skip certain tasks we don't have time for.  The way it is now, she has to swipe the task anyway, even if she didn't do it, if she wants to continue with the routine and earn the rest of the stars.

So yeah, I guess what I'm looking for a a way to skip tasks and still complete the routine.  

Thanks, Kerry

OK, got it! Thanks, Kerry.

Login or Signup to post a comment